The Organization of the Organization
MEMBERS are the driving force behind the Chamber. Each year, with member input, the Chamber adopts a business plan to be carried out by over 400 members and the professional staff. Members choose to serve on the following committees and elect a Board of Directors.
Committees: The Planning & Action Level
● Professional Development Committee - Offers seminars on workforce development, management, and productivity. Recent programs included The Disney Keys to Excellence; Jack Canfield’s Success Principles; Jay Rifenbary “No Excuses”; Ritz-Carlton; Harry “The Fish Guy” Paul; Disney’s Approach to Business Excellence; Glenn Shepard; The John R. Wooden Pyramid of Success; Ralph Simone “Dynamic Team Performance”; Dr. Bob Nelson "Ways to Motivate Reward & Energize Employees": chaired by Dean M. Shlotzhauer Jr., of Community Bank, N.A.
● The Rome Marketplace Committee - Plans, organizes and presents the event each year to encourage sales at participating exhibitors, helping those businesses to successfully promote their products and services to thousands of potential customers during one spring weekend; chaired by Elliott Friedman, Lincoln Investment.
● Government Affairs Committee - Studies and speaks out on legislative issues /concerns, keeping in mind the interests of the employer community to remain competitive, maintain/increase employment, and make a profit; co-sponsors educational forums with the Professional & Business Women of Rome and holds periodic meetings with elected officials to provide members with the opportunity to meet and establish a dialogue with their elected representatives; chaired by Tom Rahn.
● Membership/Ambassadors Committee - Recruits and retains members through networking events such as Business After Hours, and recognition programs including “Member of the Month” award, ribbon cuttings, grand openings, and First Dollar of Profit award presentations; chaired by Sue McLoughlin of Berkshire Bank.
● Education Committee - Committed to young workforce development by creating and fostering connections between business and education communities. Encourages mentoring partnerships; chaired by Debbie Grogan of First Source Federal Credit Union.
● Honor America Days Committee - Organizes major events (Parade and Symphony Pops Concert the last Saturday in July). Publicizes and promotes a multitude of citywide events and activities during Rome’s annual Honor America Days Celebration, in the July-August time frame, which helps boost pride, promote patriotism, and generate business; chaired by Jackie Izzo.
● Silent Auction Committee - Plans, organizes and presents an event that is the major fund raiser for the Honor America Days Celebration that involves hundreds of area businesses, organizations and individuals who generously donate items for the auction; chaired by Jennifer Beach Brillante of C & D Advertising.
● Golf Committee - Organizes an annual golf outing to give members the opportunity to network with other members in a social setting. Recent outings have raised money for the Rome Community Foundation, Kennedy Arena, Rome Capitol Theatre, Rome Art and Community Center, Jervis Library, Rome Historical Society and the Henry P. Smith American Legion Post; chaired by Wes Cupp of Rome Country Club.
● In response to current issues, the Chamber Board of Directors also creates short-term ad hoc committees, as needed, to address concerns and opportunities that may have a direct bearing on the membership’s ability to conduct business.